Attunement: Saturday I acquired some new pants and two linen sport coats in light colors from different retailers. The pants will be hemmed to an appropriate length by a pair of tiny more Northerly South American hands. One jacket1 will be retreived from the retailer Thursay afternoon after the length of the sleeves is corrected. The other is getting altered at a local specialist shop and shold be ready Wednesday. Early experimentation suggests that once again Mircea Popescu was right and my gut was wrong, more clothing in the heat means more comfort if it is the right clothing.
The process2 of acquiring the jackets involved hitting up every retailer that appeared to carry menswear or something resembling menswear in Montevideo Shopping, after acquiring pants, pinning in a temporary hem at the habitation module, and returning.3 The first stop was Lacoste, only worth mentioning because their one jacket was seersucker. Before I turned the search into an exercise, I actually went to the mall wondering "Does anyone in this country carry seersucker?" The price they wanted for the seersucker was just over 22,000 pesos, and the staff didn't seem very thrilled at the prospect of making a sale or confident they'd make one and set off all sorts of alarm bells in the process.4 "Quizá voy a volver" and the game was on. It turns out the range for climate appropriate natural fiber sportcoats at mall prices is instead 4000 to 6000 pesos at every retailer that isn't Lacoste. It also turns out linen rather than seersucker is the warm weather fabric I needed. For applying a method and conducting an actual, if limited search I ended up with two jackets instead of one while spending less than half the pesos for more climate and location appropriate fabric.
The purchasing of course happened 12 stores and 20+ jackets later. For having applied the method and turning "buy some job search clothes" into an exercise, I am far more confident in my purchases. What started as "I want to look presentable looking for work" became "Why haven't I been dressing like this the whole time?" Thusly I am going to make an earnest effort to practice being the sort of man that habitually wears a jacket when he goes out into the world. I go into this knowing there are all sorts of crowded and divergent noise spheres that make reading about menswear a dangerous rabbithole. Thusly, I will not eat the out of WoT noise an wankery in favor of actually searching and trying on garments in the real world and seeing whether they work for me or not. I suspect, as with the police report, the desirable second and third order effects of spending a couple hours on maintaining and building the means to dress like a grown man every month or every other month will pay off.5
I am confident in the purchases not because I convinced myself I made the most optimum acquisitions. I am confident I made purchases acceptably within the space of correct-ish solutions while avoiding at least one obvious bad purchase that could have happened because the wrong store was the first in my path through the mall. I anticipate publishing some pictures in the very near future when the jackets are in hand and an occasion to photo up arises.
Notably, despite Montevideo Shopping being full of circulating pedestrians, I never had to wait to be attended to in any retailer I visited during the search. Frequently, I was the only customer in these stores despite the mall at large being full on a Saturday. Such is Uruguay.
Checking the hot sheets for Qntra fodder I saw comforting signs that suggest the generation starting to come of age indeed appears as though it is better, as Mircea Popescu's European Tour seems to be suggesting, even if for reversion to the mean. It turns out US grifters in faux conservative branding are getting heckled on the college speaking circuit by students on the right! For all the media noise about AntiFa and "left" derpery, kids on campus are taking derp right grifters to task. And they are passing student ID checks and all sorts of mitigations the eternal mother Pantsuit would expect to shut them up. Of course the kids aren't throwing rocks and taking prisoners yet, so not news. Instead they are at a "good optics" phase that may or may not be terminal to their particular movement. Whatever budget the FBI has for whatever name they call COINTELPRO by today can't possibly be sufficient for the needs they perceive.
As noted in a comment on The Whet, I have been taking notes on my own processes, workflow, etc and how they have been overweighted on waiting for correctness when action was necessary. So far there is nothing big in these notes that isn't already been documented elsewhere by someone, myself or otherwise, over the past several weeks. Anyways,... Action! Action! and more ACTION!
- In retrospect not bringing any of the plastic fiber "suits" from old country was a smart move. Waiting this long to put together some grown up menswear in Uruguay seems to have been an unforced error on my part. [↩]
- I am documenting this as an excercise for myself in the documenting, and in the distant secondary hope that the documented process may be of use to other Republicans, Republic curious persons, etc. [↩]
- The exercise was informed by taking some time last week to actively what professional working men of the city wear around the WTC, the Old City, and Centro when I was already in the area. What I saw was
- Very few wore clothes that fit, apparently keeping the old "you'll grow into it" well after vertical growth stopped.
- Almost no one's pants were hemmed. The rule here seemed to be folks were settling for close enough or letting the pavers of Montevideo slowly trim their pants for them.
- Folks wearing dark color matched jackets and pants seemed especially prone to both of the above, and they favored obvious polyester or polyester somewhat better mimicking wool than the gloss crowd.
- The jeans and a jacket combination is incredibly common except while the jeans tended closer to the right length, the jackets were still a poor fit.
- The casual vacation/recreation style I'd leaned on was common as well.
From this I concluded the space of acceptably correct solutions was probably going to involve:
- A jacket and pants that fit. This means in my budget off the rack with sleeves and pants altered for length. How can I reasonably deny myself this lowest of low handing fruit.
- Jacket and pants that aren't color matched into the local approximation of a suit, because I want clothes to get into the habit of wearing every day or nearly every day.
At this point I had an idea, but I wasn't yet sure if the jacket search going to be a simple thing or an ordeal thing. [↩]
- On the surface this could easily been mistaken naively for a first level "I don't like my job much" staffing problem. My exposure to the local culture however suggested they were telegraphing that they didn't want to make this sale in particular. Sometimes this is something that needs to be powered through. If I know I need a particular part, tool, machine, cable, chemical, mineral, etc and the local conventional wisdom says otherwise... it is time to power through. I this case that certainty was lacking. [↩]
- Compare the Republican informed method to the naive alternative: Outside the WoT there's a bunch of reading that could be done. That reading will consist of mountains of pseudoscience spewed by the "make money while sleeping" crowd, and the incentives are stacked such that the out of WoT pseudoscience is produced far faster than it can be read. Forget years, lifetimes could be spent in an onastery simply reading pseudoscience without acquiring any actual familiarity, much less mastery. The methods for going into the world and actually searching are already there, and in fact take less time/effort/heartbreak than the alternatives. [↩]