So it's been a year since I've started posting on this blog in its current incarnation. Originally around the beginning of the 2013 Baseball season some friends and I though we'd start a Sports blog and then there were many months of nothing, and then last fall I wanted to start a Bitcoin blog and decided that I'd just recycle this domain and hosting into a new blog. Since relaunching there have been:
- 189 Posts, or roughly one every other day
- 337 Blog comments that made it past the Spam filter
- Several Metric Fucktons of readers1
- Three articles on the front page of /. and a fourth that made it to front of the beta page only.
- A generous benefactor who kept this blog alive when the hosting came up for renewal.2
By any stretch this past year has been a pretty good run, and it will continue. Now for things this site has burned through:
- Two Advertising platforms3
- Three readily available Wordpress themes
- Too many variations on the same skeleton of a Wordpress theme it is on now for me to readily recall.
- A fuck ton of ways to organize the sidebar before deciding to banish the archives to their own page. A page they can safely fill in their completion.4
Looking towards the future there are a few things I'd like to sort out:
- Dedicated hardware for hosting. By this I don't mean subscribe to some host's "dedicated server" plan, but instead I mean buying a box and renting a rack to stick it on. I have a good idea of the sort of hardware I'd like. A one rack unit box. Maybe it is a Sparc64, Apple G5, or DEC alpha machine. Perhaps even I go for x86-64? The aim would be to find a hardware box of my own choice and configuration and then rent it a server apartment on a colocation rack somewhere.5
- Continuing to post, because of fucking course.
- Breaking some more bits of news.
- Watching Bitcoin go up enough I need not find another sponsor ever, or finding a sponsor for next year. Not necessarily for the dedicated hardware. The cushion to fell secure in that route is quite substantial.6 But contributions even for the booze fund are appreciated: 16wAZSsL8BFNFM8WCsrE8pwwFkhDErWiok which I might switch out sometime. ((I frequently move things out of this receiving address, not because I must, but because I can. What's the fun in keeping one address that's your own when you keep fifty or fifty hundred?
- Continuing to piss people who need it off. Largely bad actors and their shills. It's a timely matter considering today a bunch of GAW hashlet apologists stumbled their way into my post on the subject today.
On that note... X more years, where X is hopefully greater than one.Â For my own sake it would be nice if X is at least greater than 30.
- A more precise figure is not available because the premise of Web analytics is broken. You are always going to get false positives for actual visitors like semalt, and false negatives such a people borrowing a search engine crawler's User Agent string. This seems unavoidable, and I'm rather sure expending effort to avoid it would be a waste. [↩]
- Twas a gift with eminently satisfiable conditions which persist in being satisfied. [↩]
- One of these is missed, maybe it will come back? [↩]
- The code for this is based on Justin Tadlock's "Clean my Archives" plug in. It is also a great case of the proper use of Open Source, where by you take someone else's solution and fit it to your problem. [↩]
- To people who scream "Cloud!, Cloud!" contemporary shared hosting is more than adequate for blogging on a performance perspective. Performance is not a reason I consider moving to hardware. Control is. Knowing my box is. [↩]
- One point I maintain is that this blog be able to pay for itself. I managed that after the first year of hosting, rather than posting expired. [↩]