Since early last year I have been inconvenienced by a misdemeanor charge. It is a small thing. It inconveniences me in small ways. The duration that these small inconveniences have been applicable makes this a serious issue which creates tremendous opportunity costs, and the affair in its totality ends up being an astounding inconvenience. Complicating the case is that the prosecutor seems to be aware that they can not make the case.
I posit that they are likely aware they can't make the case that I committed an offense, and that the incident in question is even a criminal offense by the letter and spirit of the law. Now, I might be taking a substantial jump by positing the state's attorney has this level of awareness since in spite of their representative assigned this case seeming amenable to dropping this charge higher ups in the office have blocked them from doing so.1 Then there's the matter where the poor overworked instrument of the State's Attorney's office having not had the opportunity to have read the report on this incident in time for the first court dates leading them to request continuance of proceedings on those grounds.
The case has stabilized at an equilibrium point where every couple months my attorney meets with the prosecutor for a discussion. My lawyer proposes dropping the matter, they report that their boss won't let them. The prosecutor inquires if my lawyer's client would be inclined to plea out the matter. My lawyer offers that I am indeed not inclined to plea. The case gets continued and this cycle seems as though it can continue indefinitely. In addition to the inconvenience that comes from being out on bond, this whole matter is now exhausting.2
Since this matter has transcended inconvenience to inhere exhaustion, and since the opportunity costs are becoming extraordinarily high, I am beginning to plan for the contingency that this matter is not simply dropped at the next scheduled court date.3 I am looking towards measures that will inflict political and economic costs against parties driving my continued inconvenience that is within the letter and spirit of the law. The precise timing and type of measures to be taken will not advertised in advance4 with the except that I do not intend any violent measures. As I am not a forum CEO that means there will not be violent measures. I am simply not a violent person. Instead as much distaste for it as I have, litigation is a possibility. The research into, discovery, and disclosure of embarrassing and politically damning information is possible. I have no idea yet might be found, but in the county where Micheal "Bad is my Middle Name" Cook was both a Judge and voracious consumer of drugs there's bound to be promising information to be found.5
Of course August is still a ways away. I will continue waiting for the only just course of action to play out before I begin the long process of pursuing compensation for damages. I have better things to do with my time. I like to imagine the Courts and State's Attorney have better things to do.
- This has to be incredibly frustrating. A person studies hard getting their Juris Doctorate and passing the bar. They labor this entire time under the impression that they are going to practice a profession, only to find out when someone finally pays them for their credentials that they are allowed less autonomy and discretion than your average call center employee. [↩]
- The combination of this being exhausting and "the people" in general being idiots are why I vastly prefer the outcome where this is dropped because there was no criminal act to expending the effort in court to convince a jury of people who don't want to be there of what is clear to minimally educated observers. [↩]
- The next scheduled date is near the end of August. [↩]
- There are very good reasons for this as Mircea Popescu advances in Arta Pedepsirii, or the Art of Punishment. Google and Bing do very poor translations, so it is best to just translate yourself or commission a quality transaltion. [↩]
- Note that none of this constitutes extortion or a threat in any way. I am merely documenting the natural phenomenon by which a person made to suffer is inclined to return the favor to those who inflict the suffering. The only deviant thing here is my intention to continue using my time more productively if the matter is dropped as it could and should have been at any of the previous court dates. [↩]